Training Sessions start today!
2013 Los Angeles Bicycle and Pedestrian Count:
Who Gets Counted Counts
In 2009, we counted 14,000 bicyclists and 62,000 pedestrians. In 2011, we counted over 15,000 bicyclists and 75,000 pedestrians. How many people on bikes and foot will be counted this year? Every two years we get our clipboards out, remind ourselves how to use tally marks, and invite everyone to participate in a massive data collection endeavor. The Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition and Los Angeles Walks present the 2013 Los Angeles Bicycle and Pedestrian Count!
The dates for the L.A. Bike & Ped Count are:
- Tuesday, September 10, 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, September 10, 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, September 14, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
How you can help:
1. Sign Up to Volunteer!
We have over 120 locations (see map) all across the City of Los Angeles, and there are three counts times for each one. We need hundreds of volunteers to make sure that people on bikes and people on foot are getting counted. Most locations only require 1 volunteer, so shifts will fill up fast. Sign up soon to get the location and time you want!
Sign up for a count shift!
All volunteers will get a super fresh Bike & Ped Count t-shirt and an exclusive invite to our bumpin’ post-count volunteer party!
1A. Sign Up for a Volunteer Orientation.
After you’ve signed up for a shift, sign up to attend a volunteer orientation. We’ve changed the method for data collection for this count, so all volunteers are required to attend an orientation, even if you’ve done bike & ped counts with us in the past. Note that you don’t have to sign up for an orientation in your count area. All orientations will be the same – just sign up for the location that is most convenient for you.
- Wednesday, September 4, 6:30 p.m.: Fire Station No. 89 – 7063 N. Laurel Canyon Blvd., 91605 (Valley)
- Wednesday, September 4, 6:30 p.m.: Glassell Senior Citizen Center – 3750 Verdugo Rd., 90065 (East)
- Thursday, September 5, 6:30 p.m.: location TBA (West)
- Thursday, September 5, 6:30 p.m.: LACBC Headquarters, Mezzanine Level – 634 S. Spring St., Downtown L.A. (Central)
- Saturday, September 7, 9:30 a.m.: TRUST South L.A. – 4331 S. Main St., 90037 (South)
- Saturday, September 7, 2 p.m.: Southeast L.A. – Watts WorkSource Center – 10950 S. Central Ave., 90059 (South)
2. Spread the Word.
3. Donate to the Bicycle and Pedestrian Count.
It takes time, energy, and resources to make the bicycle and pedestrian count happen! It costs roughly $25 to fund a count location, and we have over 120 locations this year. Make a donation to LACBC for a donation that really goes a long way and counts.
Get your data collection on, and remember that who gets counted counts!
Want to support LACBC’s work & have the chance to win a fabulous prize while you’re at it?
Join LACBC or renew your LACBC membership to help make L.A. County a healthy, safe, and fun place to bike and for a chance to ride away with a trip for two to Tour de Fat – San Diego on September 28th!
Anyone who becomes an LACBC member or renews a membership between August 15, 2013 and September 12, 2013 will automatically be entered 5 times in a drawing to win a trip for two to New Belgium’s Tour de Fat in San Diego. The winner and a guest, plus their bicycles, will travel on the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner train, enjoy two nights at the swanky Omni San Diego Hotel, and follow their folly at New Belgium’s Tour de Fat – San Diego, a bike and beer festival that has no equal.
Tour de Fat – San Diego takes place on Saturday, September 28th, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Golden Hill Park and benefits our friends at the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition and the San Diego Mountain Biking Association.