- Bike Week in LA
Celebrate National Bike Week
May is Bike Month: and #BikeLA is exploding with workshops, rides and events! join us as we kick off official Bike Week events with free maintenance workshops, bike trains, a bike to work happy hour and a feeder ride from Orange 20 Bikes in East Hollywood to Bike Night at the Hammer museum.
- Monday, May 13—Fix Your Bike Day
Learn how to fix a flat workshop and more. Q&A with Orange 20 staff on D.I.Y. repair and maintenance from 4-6pm!
- Tuesday, May 14—Blessing of the Bicycles in the A.M. & Handsome Cycles Comes to L.A.
Take your bike to the 10th Annual Blessing of the Bicycles at 8am & Check out the latest sexy developments from Handsome Cycles, beginning at 4pm displaying their current 2013 line up and building bikes up at Orange 20′s gallery space (& drinking beer!).
- Wednesday, May 15—Guided Ride Day: Bike Lanes and More!
Organizations all over LA are hosting local neighborhood rides – and Orange 20 Bikes is hosting a special ride of the East Hollywood neighborhood called the bicycle district. Meet 6:30pm at the shop and finish back at Hel-Mel at Scoops Ice Cream shop.
- Thursday, May 16—Bike to Work Day
Give bicycling to work a try with LA Bike Trains! We’re launching 5 bike to work group rides, called ‘bike trains’ (with conductors!) and Thursday stop by Orange 20 for a happy hour stop for water (& possibly some beer..)
- Friday, May 17-Ride to Bike Night at the Hammer Museum
Ride your bike with Orange 20 Bikes and LACBC’s Central LA Bike Ambassadors to Bike Night at the Hammer Art Museum!
- Monday, May 13—Fix Your Bike Day
- LA River Ride Discount for CicLAvia! To honor and celebrate CicLAvia the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition is offering a special to participants who sign up for River Ride!The LA River Ride is an epic series of 8 different rides for everyone from families to dedicated roadies and everyone in between. Join over 2,000 other riders and enjoy a great day of cycling fun, an Eco Expo, raffles, live music, and amazing food.Take an extra $5 off the asking price, all rides, no matter if you are a member or not. You have a week to do so online to get this discount! The coupon code (expires 12:00am PST April 28th) is CICLAVIA13Get all the details about the event here.
- This Weekend in #BikeLA SATURDAY, 4/2012PM – 6PMEcho ParkFREE!Do it! ”Explore and discover whimsical chalk art, chain link fence galleries, an art piece scavenger hunt, kids activities, driveway theaters, movie screenings, hands on crafting stations, sculptures, musical and dance performances, live art works, special store promotions and other various creative & mind stimulating public displays of ART!”SATURDAY, 4/20
Pasadena Earth and Arts Festival Street Art Ride!
11am – 1:30pmPasadena Memorial ParkFREE!
Join C.I.C.L.E. for a Street Art Ride through Pasadena and pedal along the city’s canvas! Experience the city’s dynamic collection of public art from “Phantasmagoria of Joy” to “The Fork in the Road”. We’ll roll through to various displays of fantastic creativity and learn about the street art along the way.SATURDAY, 4/202PM – 8PM@ The Douglas House1326 Douglas St.Echo ParkMetro: Metro Bus 2, 302, 4, 704$5 DonationEven with a broken collarbone, Good Buddy Nate is passionately raising money for his SF -> LA bike ride later in June in support of AIDS research. And he’s doing it with a Carnival, complete with a clown troupe, a levitation artist, a jail, and a bbq! I’ll be volunteering for Nate, and you should come to say hello and enjoy a beautiful backyard in Echo Park. Plus, it’s all for a good cause.SUNDAY, 4/21cicLAvia – To The Sea!
10AM – 3PM
@ Downtown LA <-> Venice Beach
FREE!LA’s biggest block party is connecting Downtown to the Beach! 15-miles of car-free bliss. Come out to walk, skate, hop, or bike this wonderful event. If you’ve never done this event before, I’ll just say that I cried tears of joy during the first cicLAvia on 10/10/2010. True story, that’s how great the day will be. Along with tons of other performances along the route, Good Buddy Isaac will be joining the gypsy band AK and her Kalashnikovz at the Culver City Hub on the corner of Culver / Washington from 2-4pm. See you on the route!After parties ABOUND!Check out TOLA’s12:00 pm
BNIB 2684 Lacy St, Los Angeles 900313×3 $40 Minimum Tattoos to fund my friend Alains Trip to France
There will be DJS, PRIZES, GIVEAWAYS ARTWORK, RACES and so much more!
Pretty much a huge block party at BNIB! Chicken Hawk will be hosting 1 on 1 drag races! $5 entry, Money will go to the CBNC RV Trip fund. Prizes for top 3! We will hopefully be closing one side of the street to make it as smooth as possible!Registration will open up at 3pm
Races Start at 4pm10amLA City HallWe’ll ride the new CicLAVia route to Venice, then turn around and make our way to the POOL PARTY along the route!!! Bring all the things you need to make this day great for you and the people around you. Tacos! Friends! Pool & the potential for fame. That’s Treats N Beats.
- Tonight! Building a Bike Movement in Autopia
A History of Cycling in LA
Los Angeles Eco-Village
7 – 9 pm
This event is an experiment in group ethnography of the L.A. bike movement since 1997. Sponsored by the Center for Ethnography. Join Colin Bogart, Kelly Martin, Ben Guzman, Alexis Lantz, Ron Milam, Adonia Lugo, Aurisha Smolarski-Waters, Roadblock, Jimmy Lizama, and others as we create an experimental group ethnography of the Los Angeles bike movement from 1997 to the present.
- #BikeLA March 14 – 19, 2013 7PM – 10PM@ Encino Velodrome17301 Oxnard StreetEncino, CAFREE!
Learn and experience the different types of track racing. This is an intensive 6 week class that exposes newer track riders to each of the main disciplines of track racing. Each night is devoted to a specific type of race. Be prepared to ride! Riders must complete the beginners class prior to attending this class.
CONTACT: Kieron Menzies firstname.lastname@example.orgTHURSDAY, 3/149AM – 12PM@ LA Leadership Academy High School234 East Avenue 33Lincoln HeightsMetro: Heritage Square Gold Line StationFREE!
Good buddy and Master Gardener Lora Hall has been working hard developing a school farm program over in Lincoln Heights. If you have some time, and would love to get your hands dirty, then head over to volunteer or just visit the farm program to help Lora tend to the over 1-acre piece of land. Think of the children!FRIDAY, 3/15Rowena Ave. “Road Diet” Celebration w/ Tom LaBonge8AM@ Fire Station 562759 Rowena Ave.Silver LakeFREE!If you haven’t heard, Rowena Ave. was restriped early Monday morning to include a BIKE LANE. The road diet also added a dedicated left-turn lane and reduced through lanes to one in each direction – hopefully slowing down traffic. This was mostly a response to a pedestrian being struck and killed in April 2012 while crossing Rowena. You should go out on Friday morning just to see Councilmember Tom LaBonge in action as he dedicates the new road diet; he’s the last breed of the old school politician.SATURDAY, 3/1612PM – 3PM@ Grand ParkCommunity TerraceDowntown LAMetro: Civic Center Red Line StationFREE!Two of my favorite things: Grand Park and the Time Bank. If you’re interested in joining, or just meeting some new people, then head down to this beautiful, urban park for some delicious food and gracious neighbors.
SATURDAY, 3/168PM – 10PM@ The Comrade ClubSanta Fe Lofts560 S. Main Street, 8th FloorDowntown LAFREE!
Buddy Will Wright is hosting this reading event, which features lots of local LA writers. I’ll be there for a bit at the beginning! ”The COMRADE CLUB is a salon for ideas. Part artist collective and part business incubator, the COMRADE CLUB is a “private, communal lounge” where members can come together to review a project, share a new concept, brainstorm or just unwind.”SUNDAY, 3/17St. Patrick’s Day
- There are more Americans of Irish origin than there are Irish in Ireland (36 million Americans claimed Irish ancestry in 2008; population of Ireland was 4.4 million at the time).
- There are four places in the United States named Shamrock (West Virginia, Texas, Indiana, Oklahoma) and nine Dublin’s (Dublin, California and Dublin, Ohio are most populous) .
- Did not become a national holiday in Ireland in 1903 and the first parade wasn’t held in Dublin until 1931.
- St. Patrick’s true given name was Maewyn Succat.
St. Patrick’s Day Festival
All afternoon beer, wine, spirits and food tastings accompanied by Irish music and dance at the The Factory in West Hollywood. Not bike related, unless you bike there. If you have a green bike and drink a green beer, and then post a picture about it on the internet, you’ve officially won.
When:March 17, 2012 2 pm
Where: The Factory, 652 N La Peer, West Hollywood, CA 90069
Info:stpattysfest.com, 213-915-80033AM – 7AMStart at 4AM @ Tan’s Donut, Sunset Blvd.Finish @ Ocean / Montana, Santa MonicaFREE!I’ve been waiting for this event for 2 years, and I can finally ride it this year. Who’s with me? The crash race is a bike ride where riders take over the 26 mile LA Marathon course, which is closed off to vehicular traffic starting at 4AM. It’s the only time of year in LA where 26 continuous miles of streets are not only clear of cars, but also free of traffic lights! I will be making a very pleasant pace down to Santa Monica with the Echo Park Bike Posse and Bodacious Bike Babes; I will not be doing racing pace. Once in a lifetime! Do it!Tuesday, March 19thUnion Station Bike CountsWhen: Tuesday, March 19 and Saturday, March 23.
Where: Union Station, Downtown LALet’s count some bikes at Union Station! We’ll collect vital data on bike usage on Metrolink and Amtrak. Count shifts are:Tuesday, March 19
Saturday, March 23
Email email@example.com to volunteer. You’ll get a snazzy new LA Bike Count t-shirt!+Big thanks & credit to Bruce Chan’s ‘This week in LA” newsletter.